Date:      Sat, 16 Dec 2017 08:04:02 -0500
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>, "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: as(1) for aarch64 (Was: Re: gcc for aarch64)

On 16 December 2017 at 03:00, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@freebsd.org> wrote:

> So does it come with assembler, is it GNU-compatible?  (I was told it
> does: s/${AS} ${ASFLAGS}/${CC} -Wa,${ASFLAGS:ts,}/)  If yes, why there
> is no wrapper installed as /usr/bin/as?
>
> Or it cannot be used as a drop-in replacement and users that want to
> call as(1) directly should install `devel/binutils' port?  Thanks,

Clang's integrated assembler is mostly compatible with GNU as, but
there are some macro constructs etc. that it does not handle. So it's
not fully a drop-in replacement.

The arm64 kernel and base system assembles source files by invoking
the compiler driver (as do other architectures for most, but not all,
of their asm source).

Users who need to invoke the assembler directly should indeed install
binutils from ports or packages.