Date:      Tue, 25 May 2010 14:35:13 +0200
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current Current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: AppleTalk status

Am 25.05.2010 um 13:41 schrieb Daniel O'Connor:

> On 25/05/2010, at 20:55, Stefan Bethke wrote:
>> I'm working on updating net/netatalk to version 2.1 (or 2.1.1 when =
that comes out the next couple of days), and I'm wondering what state =
AppleTalk support is in these days.  Is anybody still using it, or would =
now be the time to make all AppleTalk support in that port optional, and =
just focus on the file server component?
>>=20
>> I haven't used AppleTalk for at least eight years now, and I don't =
quite see which setting it still would be used in nowadays...
>=20
> I use it so I can back my Macbook Pro to my FreeBSD server on a ZFS =
partition..
> (But that is all)

You're using the sys/netatalk AppleTalk protocol for that, or TCP?  The =
netatalk port's afpd (Apple File Protocol daemon) can speak AFP over =
both DDP/ASP and TCP, and I'll keep afpd working over TCP of course.  =
I'm talking about disabling AppleTalk protocol support.

Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811