Date:      Wed, 28 Mar 2018 15:25:27 -0400
From:      Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace.net>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>,Tommi Pernila <tommi.pernila@iki.fi>
Cc:        "[ScaleEngine] Allan Jude" <allan.jude@scaleengine.com>, freebsd-current <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, imp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GELI with UEFI supporting Boot Environments goes to HEAD when?
References:  <CABHD1wRyrmXp5R_ViERa-MnJnVKN-U551SWt%2Behm6r%2B3viydxg@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfp-bYi2fFJi5ashPLwjnwKWeoepiPt23LfPORU1EpKNGg@mail.gmail.com> <CABHD1wQU_6wHw96%2BLguVuqmwqY04%2Bn7NPcy6rSgn4QdKZpF3Kg@mail.gmail.com> <0e75a2ba-9a59-8301-a678-68a822025bd6@metricspace.net> <CABHD1wS-RoxP5fsCYgH61BsPsad_OPC4FZSUCUi6EfsWyXRzQA@mail.gmail.com> <9df63df2-9d61-4106-f360-347411869b41@metricspace.net> <f17bbb44-6735-e252-ba75-bd0b4f685d9d@metricspace.net> <CABHD1wRu_C4dPvzt%2BxMsYYYjFNJ1%2B78ne4cLsuCxr=YrN%2BhfFA@mail.gmail.com> <CANCZdfrkW1yteAixk44DetDe=uetVtvxM9-M7K5FioxeLseHJw@mail.gmail.com>

I'll do another rebase from head just to be sure=20

On March 28, 2018 3:23:23 PM EDT, Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp=2Ecom> wrote:
>It's on my list for nexr, finally=2E I have an alternate patch for
>loader=2Eefi
>from ESP, but i don't think it will affect the GELI stuff=2E I have some
>time
>slotted for integration issues though=2E
>
>I am quite mindful of the freeze dates=2E=2E=2E=2E I  have some uefi boot
>loader
>protocol changes that I need to get in=2E
>
>Warner
>
>On Feb 21, 2018 11:18 PM, "Tommi Pernila" <tommi=2Epernila@iki=2Efi> wrot=
e:

>> Awesome, thanks for the update and the work that you have done!
>>
>> Now we just need some more reviewers eyes on the code :)
>>
>> Br,
>>
>> Tommi
>>
>> On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 at 2=2E03, Eric McCorkle <eric@metricspace=2Enet>
>wrote:
>>
>>> FYI, I just IFC'ed everything, and the current patches are still
>fine=2E
>>>
>>> Also, the full GELI + standalone loader has been deployed on one of
>my
>>> laptops for some time now=2E

>usable

>however=2E

>code,

>keys

>depends

>function

>>> loader, and
>boot1=2E
>>> includes its

>keybuf

>>> land, (b)
>legitimate
>again,
>>> it's
>further
>>> mods to
>ahead
>>> with (a)

>>> preoccupied with

>volumes it

>>> freebsd=2Eorg"

--=20
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail=2E Please excuse my brevity=2E
From owner-freebsd-current@freebsd.org  Wed Mar 28 20:11:09 2018
 d=1e100.net; s=20161025;
 h=x-gm-message-state:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:from:date
 :message-id:subject:to:cc;
 bh=JkcvS6tlcQeSOT/oE5Yw+hwWWWLDwCrau8qHHKXrl9k=;
 b=XWcMfX6sS8uMJJ373PPXrxZxctqQ9tsoUybBbLsjvTKoeldOxhErVTNo5msWjkkqk4
 3J8uemJXMcqWBkhz87NTyVZtInXgyUONDSi/poR02fCnyvNf4v2D27OuYYCdVpNqyJOp
 0WJ9/eAR5GHeTsPaOFpl72lNe78izT9eZJCWqFZNPP6QLXaWSVpLAtoJN7opaw65lICr
 BwGp2Tkd6sjRL9hvF/pe26eXdu1JkFjOOt7USGUPjhzCrnb5cma43e7BltEZ4EaYwx6H
 p8FwbwbJqMt7snPVeITfzW4LGzZAwI6gXhLKGdq/ZCdL5DdkjeyEv9l9R1wLTIfp8g3c
 OsIg==
From: Kyle Evans <kevans@freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2018 15:10:39 -0500
Subject: Re: Boot failure: panic: No heap setup
To: Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org>
Cc: "<freebsd-current@freebsd.org>" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>,
 Warner Losh <imp@freebsd.org>

On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 6:39 PM, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Am 27.03.18 um 21:31 schrieb Kyle Evans:
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 27, 2018 at 11:06 AM, Stefan Esser <se@freebsd.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> A few weeks ago I tried the LUA boot and found, that my kernel did not
>>> start
>>> (i.e. did not print the initial FreeBSD version line), but instead
>>> stopped
>>> with:
>>

>> Oy =/
>>
>>> panic: No heap setup
>>>
>>> I recovered by booting from an alternate boot device and kept my system
>>> running until today, where I decided to give the LUA boot another try.
>>>
>>> The boot failure happened again, with identical message:
>>>
>>>          panic: No heap setup
>>

>> Hmm... that's an sbrk panic [1], indicating that setheap hadn't been
>> called. zfsgptboot is zfsboot with gpt bits included, so the relevant
>> setheap call is [2] I believe. It's not immediately clear to me how
>> switching interpreters could actually be breaking it in this way.
>>
>> At what point are you hitting this panic? After menu, before kernel
>> transition?
>

> The menu is displayed and I can unload the kernel and load the kernel
> and modules from an alternate path. The lua code seems to work just fine,
> but as soon as I enter the "boot" command, the panic happens.
>
> This happens when the loader transfers control to the kernel but before
> any other output is generated. I tried booting a GENERIC kernel just to
> be sure this is not caused by an out-dated kernel config file.
>
>>> I tried booting a GENERIC kernel, but only rebuilding the boot loader
>>> (gptzfsloader in my case) without LUA support fixed the issue for me ...
>>>
>>> The system is -CURRENT (built today) on amd64 (not converted to UEFI,
>>> yet).
>

> Hmmm, the code references point into the boot loader code - I had
> expected that there is a problem in the kernel, not the boot loader.
>
>> [1]
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/stand/libsa/sbrk.c?view=markup#l56
>

> Seems that setbase has either not been called or has been called with
> base=0.

Right, which is odd...

>> [2]
>> https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/stand/i386/zfsboot/zfsboot.c?view=markup#l688
>

> I had thought, that the zfs boot code has been initialized before the
> menu is displayed?

Right, all of this should be done looooong before we get to the
interpreter. Can you break into the loader prompt and try the `heap`
command, see what that outputs? CC'ing imp@ because he actually knows
things.