Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 03:34:26 -0500
From:      Steven Huwig <sjh13@po.cwru.edu>
To:        darklogik@pittgoth.com
Cc:        freeBSD-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why do we use `` and "

On Friday, December 28, 2001, at 09:28 PM, Tom Rhodes wrote:

> May I ask why, on much of the online documentation I see opening a
> statement like:
>
> ``this and then closing with"
>
> Is there some formatting logic behind it, or is it just easier to
> understand?  Now, if you have a reason on a web page, please refer me
> to it so that I may read it...  Thanks for reading me....

Looks like LaTeX to me (possibly TeX as well). Check out the example at
the bottom of http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/

In a nutshell, TeX renders `` as open-curly-quote and " as
close-curly-quote. This behavior irks me sometimes, as I'm accustomed to
"smart-quotes" in word processors, and hence my LaTeX documents often
have words in between two close-curly-quotes.

Hope this helps,

Steve