Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 14:59:36 +0000
From:      Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: USB drivers

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> wrote:

>Anyone considered building a PC whose only means of talking to
>the world is a USB port?

It'd be rather crippled with only 12Mbit/s of IO.

>Anyway, Amancio says he'd prefer FireWire for the monitor (at it's
>slowest, FW can transfer 68 Mbits/S more a second than PCI!), but
>of course he's a video geek.  8-).

I think you have your bits and bytes mixed up :-) Firewire starts out
at 100Mbit/s (or at least it did when I first heard about it in 1994)
and PCI starts at 132Mbyte/s. IIRC Firewire was designed to be
extended to 800Mbit/s which doesn't get very near PCI's minimum.

For good video you need 3Gbit/s to the tube (1600*1200, 72Hz, 24 bpp).

>So maybe a box with just a power connector, a FW port and a USB hub
>chip (to seperate the "A" and "B" devices).

That would be cool.

Tony.
--
f.a.n.finch  dot@dotat.at  fanf@demon.net