Date:      Mon, 08 Oct 2007 16:08:49 +0200
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Angel_H=F6ngens?= <angelo@hongens.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iscsi port in /etc/services?

> Hey guys, my first post here, so don't shoot me. (Don't know if this is=
 =3Dthe
> right place to come with the question)
>=20
> I'm running RELENG_6 (built yesterday)m and after installing the
> iscsi-target from ports, I found that I could not get it started..  I =
=3Dgot
> the error =22***ERROR*** getaddrinfo: servname not supported for =3Dai_=
socktype=22,
> which after googling for half an hour turns out to be a cryptic message=

> meaning a service is not found in /etc/services.
>=20
> After getting a later version of /etc/services, the iscsi-target would
> start, but I was not able to connect using an initiator on another =3Dm=
achine.
> I then found out these ports in /etc/services: (apparently since rev =
=3D1.112)
>=20
> iscsi           860/tcp> iscsi           860/udp
>=20
> While my initiator expected to see port 3260. After some more googling,=
 =3DI
> found out port 860 is a port to be used ONLY when in need of a system =
=3DTCP
> port number (?) but by default, port 3260 must be used:
>=20
> RFC3720 says:
>=20
>    The well-known user TCP port number for iSCSI connections assigned b=
>    IANA is 3260 and this is the default iSCSI port.  Implementations
>    needing a system TCP port number may use port 860, the port assigned=

>    by IANA as the iSCSI system port; however in order to use port 860,
>    it MUST be explicitly specified - implementations MUST NOT default t=
>    use of port 860, as 3260 is the only allowed default.
>=20
> Is this in error in /etc/services, or an error in my logic?
>=20
>=20
> Kind regards,
>=20
> Angelo H=F6ngens
> The Netherlands.

As far as I can tell, iscsi-target does NOT use /etc/services, it specifi=
cally
requests port 3260, unless it's changed by the the -p flag.
So your problem is somewhere in the configuration file.

	danny
PS: the nice thing about FreeBSD is that you have the sources, of course =
that
needs some basic computer language knowledge :-)