Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2012 12:57:11 -0400
From:      Lucas Holt <luke@foolishgames.com>
To:        Daniel Robbins <drobbins@funtoo.org>
Cc:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Replacing rc(8) (Was: FreeBSD Boot Times)
References:  <4FDF6177.5050608@unsane.co.uk> <4FDF6586.9060501@gentoo.org> <4FDFB166.2040709@FreeBSD.org> <4FDFB44D.9090308@gentoo.org> <4FE0ADCD.9010109@FreeBSD.org> <4FE0C123.8030301@gentoo.org> <CAGH67wRidMZrzjzTSdwud%2BZ5V--wOTN8CHXOWcOr%2BE5XHYo2rA@mail.gmail.com> <4FE0F773.1080403@gentoo.org> <CAGH67wQdb-c0Kf=60rkaJSH8Hd0OjwCi=rQQMzGq8xfp2q7b=Q@mail.gmail.com> <4FE100F9.2050009@funtoo.org> <20120620073920.GA5300@lonesome.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1206201618560.75278@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> <CAPDOV49kkOdeV%2B6LVW5j5PO6VYrrNVqWZEksc_GzvWHjbufoAQ@mail.gmail.com> <alpine.BSF.2.00.1206201722520.1856@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> <CAPDOV4_ufNGyheDAhPxfndJ7WtH_u=5z7mrLtW-5-a9BMbCswg@mail.gmail.com>

On Jun 20, 2012, at 11:43 AM, Daniel Robbins <drobbins@funtoo.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 9:28 AM, Wojciech Puchar
> <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl> wrote:
>>=20
>> Whatever benefits are, and for sure they are think of this:
>>=20
>> 1) can it be compatible with 20000 ports already made for FreeBSD, where
>> many of them install rc.d scripts in CURRENT format.
>=20
> OK. This will clearly be needed, and shouldn't take too much time to
> investigate.
>=20
>> 2) is the problem 1 worth of slight improvement over already good, but
>> certainly not perfect rc.d subsystem.
>=20
> Yes, clearly OpenRC will need to offer significant improvements to
> make it worthwhile to justify migrating over to it.
>=20
> So let me know if you have any ideas for anything that would be
> considered more than just a slight improvement, that would make you go
> "OK, now it's seriously worth considering OpenRC as this is more than
> just a nominal improvement in functionality."
>=20
>> If someone would like to make new ports subsystem from scratch then it wo=
uld
>> be great. Would you like to ? ;)
>=20
> I know you are joking, but in all seriousness, this is another area of
> potential collaboration, because at some point I will be looking to
> significantly improve Portage. And Gentoo and Funtoo have the same
> challenging of upgrading ports systems -- there's so much stuff that
> already uses our *existing* ports system that needs to be moved over.
> There are creative solutions to this problem that I have found. So
> it's a good idea to stay in touch :)
>=20
>> when i would have million dollars handy call me and find these 20 people ;=
)
>=20
> I have some ideas that should make it possible to transition ports
> systems with less effort than this. But this isn't related to the
>=20

For one thing, it depends on how different the new ports system is. We migra=
ted MidnightBSD's mports in about a year for roughly 2000 ports with four pe=
ople, but that was a refactor of FreeBSD ports rather than a whole new syste=
m. The biggest problems were related to installing into a fake root as many p=
lists were terribly bad.  There are classes of problems like perl ports or g=
nu autotools which tend to have common solutions.  In our case, we wanted so=
me compatibility due to the limited resources we had.  Looking at modern Fre=
eBSD, most of the problems have been solved by automated testing and hard wo=
rk by the ports people. I personally think the problem now is packages. They=
 must be updated and the tools must be better to upgrade. I know several fol=
ks are working on it and both midnightbsd and pc-bsd have solutions to look a=
t there as well.=20

As far as rc goes, I think it is slow for some setups and reasonable for oth=
ers. Kernel boot time needs improvement as well as loading kernel modules.  T=
here isn't a one size fits all fix for the boot time problem.  Maybe a bunch=
 of little improvements would help the most folks. rcorder caching or someth=
ing ?

Luke=