Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 15:24:38 -0500
From:      "Andy Johnson" <voodo21@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Problem with configure scripts

I'm having a problem compiling programs that use a configure script (which
is most programs). When I run a configure script, I receive this error:

checking whether build environment is sane... configure: error: ls -t
appears to fail.  Make sure there is not a broken
alias in your environment
configure: error: newly created file is older than distributed files!
Check your system clock

There are NO aliases in my environment (I unalias -a to be sure) and my
clock is correct. ls -t appears to work as it should, listing the most
recently modified files first. For example, conftestfile is the file the
configure script creates to test whether ls -t is working, then it seems to
essentially execute this command:

$ ls -t configure conftestfile
conftestfile configure

This seems to work as it should, listing conftestfile first. So, my question
is, does anyone have an idea what else could be causing the problem?

Thanks,
Andrew