Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:34:48 -0500
From:      "Mezz bsdforums.org" <reigncracks@hotmail.com>
To:        jd108@pacbell.net
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg-config error

>Running FreeBSD 4.8-20030225-PRERELEASE.
>
>I ran make install in /usr/ports/archivers
>and in one of the dirs, configure failed...
>Info attached.

Did you read the error msg? Here's what it says:

><snip>
>configure: error: *** pkg-config too old; version 0.14 or better required.
><snip>

It means, you need to update your system first. The current pkgconfig is
0.15 in the ports. Here's the list that what you need to do following:

1) Update the ports tree by CVSup.
2) Install portupgrade from sysutils/portupgrade.
3) Run "pkgdb -F" to clean/fix your depencies.
4) Run "portupgrade -ra" to update your stuff what you have installed.

These day, it's best to use portupgrade first, before you touch the ports.
:-)

Cheers,
Mezz