Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 2004 18:08:39 -0700
From:      Tim Spencer <tspencer@hungry.com>
To:        Andre Oppermann <andre@freebsd.org>
Cc:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [TEST/REVIEW] Netflow implementation

On Sep 9, 2004, at 1:11 PM, Andre Oppermann wrote:
> Just because you have to use Netflow on Cisco IOS doesn't mean you
> don't
> have (or can invent) better tools on FreeBSD.

	Netflow is really useful for auditing and forensics.  If you have it
enabled for your routers, you can see who did what when, and how much
they did it.  Thus, if you have a breakin, you can go back and see what
IP addresses they came from, what places they pulled their tools down
from, and where else they went afterwards.
	You can also look at the logs that are generated and scan for "scary"
or "odd" traffic, and thus see trends of what people are doing in your
network.  This allows you to get ahead of the curve and start thinking
about what happens when everybody starts running that new VOIP thing
that seems to send out millions of 64 byte packets or whatever.  It
also allows you to look at what has been filling up your pipe over the
past few days, and thus be able to give precise answers to management
when they ask why things have been so slow recently.
	The CAIDA flow-tools stuff allows you to visualize a lot of this stuff
easily, and there are a lot of other good tools that work with standard
netflow data out there as well.  So believe me, netflow stuff is way
cool!  The more we can support it, the better!

		-tspencer