Date:      Tue, 06 Mar 2001 23:21:09
From:      "Xavier O'Neill" <xoneill@hotmail.com>
To:        siegbert.baude@gmx.de
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mounting fat partitions problem

Still having the problem on that one file system.

I notice in the output of fdisk that the cylinders do not go beyond 1023.

Here is my configuration again (I cleaned it up a bit):

Primary 20 GB disk:
ad0s1 windows slice fat32 (type 11)
ad0s2 fat32 (type 11)

Secondary disk:
ad2s1 (root)
ad2s1(some letter) (/usr)
ad2s1(some letter) (swap
ad2s2 fat32 (type 11)

I can mount everything on the first disk fine.  Everything is within the
first 1024 cylinders.

I can mount everything on the second disk fine with the exception of
ad2s2(fat32).  ad2s1(swap) ends past cylinder 1023 but fdisk will not show
that it does.  ad2s2(fat32) beings some time after cylinder 1024 and here is
the error mount is spitting back at me....

mount -t msdos /dev/ad2s2 /fat2
msods: invalid argument

The ad0s2(fat32) mounts fine, I think because it begins before the 1024th
cylinder.  My guess is that as2s2(fat32) will not mount because it begins
after the 1024th cylinder.

From: Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
To: "Xavier O'Neill" <xoneill@hotmail.com>
CC: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2001 23:49:50 +0100

Hi Xavier,

 > When I go to mount the other fat 32's
 > mount -t msdos /dev/ad0s2 /whatever
 > I get mount: invalid mount option or something to that affect.
 >
 > and I tried others things like ad2s1 (a)(b)(e) etc..

Try ad0s5 and ad2s4 (mabe ad2s5 also, if it an extended partition)

Ciao
Siegbert

P.S.: If it doesn work give us the output of fdisk on your ad0 and
ad2.