Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 14:39:13 -0500
From:      Patrick Whalen <patrickwhalen@mac.com>
To:        Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIC

On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 02:24  PM, Peter Leftwich wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Aug 2002, Patrick Whalen wrote:
>> On Thursday, August 29, 2002, at 12:55  PM, Joshua Lokken wrote:
>>> 8/28/2002 6:39:48 AM, Patrick Whalen <patrickwhalen@mac.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> So, hopefully after all of this discussion, you've realized that you
>>>  need to get a
>>> different NIC.  I have never had to tell FreeBSD how to find a NIC,
>>> except an
>>> old ISA that very well could have been bad.  Who knows why it won't
>>> find it.
>>> But, I guarantee, if you go out and buy a new, $7 NIC that uses a
>>> common
>>> (such as Realtek) chipset, it will work like a charm.  Not to say
>>> that  you 'can't'
>>> get that NIC to work, just be a little easy on yourself, and buy
>>> another.  HTH,
>>> --
>>> Joshua
>>> Hope that the day after you die is a nice day.
>>
>> I just went back through the emails which I received on this topic,
>> and
>> realized that I forgot to try one thing which was suggested by John
>> Bleichert. I disabled PnP in BIOS, and that did it.
>>
>> Thanks everyone for your help.
>> patrick
>
> Ah the knee-jerk reaction to "go out and buy..." blub-bub-bah.  :)
>
> Luckilly, 4.6 came out before I realized that 4.5 and my MS6167
> motherboard
> was the cause of not ever being able to run X11 (startx).  I nearly
> went
> out and bought an old "$7 videocard" in desperation, but am glad I
> didn't
> as I paid good money for my current ATI All in Wonder 128 16mb AGP
> (r128)
> video card!!!
>
> Glad to hear it worked out for you Patrick.  Aren't you going to miss
> PnP
> in the future though?

OK, I'm going to show you just how inept I really am by asking: Is PnP
supported in FreeBSD? I thought it wasn't, but I didn't see any smilies
or winkies next to that last question. : )

And while I've got your ear, what do you think of Webmin? Does it do a
good job? I'm starting to play around with it right now.

patrick