Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 09:46:22 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        cmott@srv.net (Charles Mott)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bus Errors

As Charles Mott wrote:

> What does "Bus error" mean?

UTSL :-)

Various possible reasons.  What quickly comes to mind are various
access violations, like trying to do direct port IO from an
unprivileged program, or messing up the (uh!) segment registers so you
get a GPF.

Also, there's something with access violations on a mapped region vs.
touching unmapped memory, that is currently differentiated between
SIGBUS vs. SIGSEGV.  We've been recently discussing this (in -core)
since it confuses our Linuxulator, and is also inconsisten with other
systems.  It's likely that somebody will be changed there in the
future.

I think an unaligned access on a 486+ with the AC flag set causes a
SIGBUS, too.  On the PDP-11, unaligned access and access to bus
addresses that were not existent (and thus timed out in the bus
controller) were the original reasons for a SIGBUS.

--
cheers, J"org