Date:      Mon, 2 Apr 2001 22:01:21 +1000
From:      "Daniel Wong" <s2209866@cse.unsw.edu.au>
To:        <freebsd-net@freeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Routing 4 machines... help!

Hi,

I have four machines, configured as follows.

Machine 1 (leaf node) (defaultrouter to internet gateway)
fxp0 129.94.232.13
fxp1 172.21.10.24

Machine 2 (router) (defaultrouter to internet gateway)
fxp0 129.94.232.14
fxp1 172.21.10.42
fxp2 10.0.0.25

Machine 3 (router) (defaultrouter to internet gateway)
fxp0 129.94.232.14
fxp1 172.23.10.26
fxp2 10.0.0.52

Machine 4 (leaf node) (defaultrouter to internet gateway)
fxp0 129.94.232.5
fxp1 172.23.10.62

Networks
129.94.232/24 - internet world
172.21/16 - network 1 (Machine 1/2)
172.23/16 - network 2 (Machine 3/4)
10/8 - network 3     (Machine 2/3)

I need to get the machine 2 and 3 to route... but I can't get them to
work...
each machines all have working connections, I have tested this and each can
ping adjacent machines. I have enabled net.inet.ip.forwarding and have added
additional route (by using route add -net ...)

When I try to ping from Machine 4 to Machine 1, it replies "sento: host is
down"

Can someone help me set this network up ?? I don't know what's wrong. I know
that it's not being sent out to the internet cause, it behaves differently
when I set add a route schema in. In my rc.conf I have enabled
router_enabled="YES" and router="gated" (also tried with "routed") the
network mask is set as above, though the defaultrouter is set to the router
of the external network (129.94.232.254)

Please quickly reply as I'm really stuck and need to get my router us as
soon as possible.

Regards
Dan