Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2001 08:00:03 -0500
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <gwen@nvnsvch.org>
Subject:   Re: creating a local area network

Hi Gwen,

Thanks for your help... I am still confused as to why one can't bind a
192.168 addy to the regular nic and access it that way... I tried it and was
only able to access it from the server itself...

I think what I am going to do is either do what you suggest (Someone told me
about a decent tutorial with a basic IPFW ruleset on it here:
http://www.bsdtoday.com/2000/December/Features359.html , I assume this is
pretty much the setup that you have...) I am now trying to decide on whether
I should do this, or whether I should just get one of those DSL routers with
a firewall installed on it... I called SMC about this one:
http://www.smc.com/smc/pages_html/homef.html and they told me that it was
capable of doing this... of course the firewall isn't nearly as good as IPFW
but... it's not bad either...

What do you think? ... My main goal in mind is to create an internal network
for myself so that I do not have to go through the internet from my
workstations to reach back to my servers... Secondly I am interested in a
firewall, but... for now I can deal with the bare necessities...

I may just have to pay someone for consultation... I'm a pretty decent
system administrator, but I don't really know much about networking :P ...
yet :)

Thanks,

Jordan