Date:      Thu, 31 Aug 1995 22:14:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.Atinc.COM>
To:        Craig Eidem <cj@claircom.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Future Domain TMC-850 SCSI Controller

On Thu, 31 Aug 1995, Craig Eidem wrote:

> 	Future Domain TMC-850 SCSI Controller with:
> 		Toshiba XM-3401 CD
>
> I have installed FreeBSD 2.0.5 from the hard disk. But
> I am unable to get FreeBSD to recognize my CD player. The
> device is not found.

	either the Future Domain TMC-850 SCSI Controller
	or the Toshiba XM-3401 CD could be your problem.

	the stock Future Domain TMC-850 SCSI Controller had some problems and
	has been replaced.

	some Toshiba cdrom drive *lie* and claim to be harddisks.  as in:

aha0 targ 6 lun 0: type 0(direct) fixed SCSI2
aha0 targ 6 lun 0: <TOSHIBA CD-ROM DRIVE:XM 1971>

	that "fixed" should be removeable.  i got around this by hacking
	the scsi code to recognize the toshiba as a cdrom anyway.

	can you install on something else and build a new kernel??  the new
	kernel should have the new Future Domain code and some hacks
	to get the cdrom recognized (i can provide the code fro both)

	unfortunately i am not setup to cut boot floppies ;(((

> I noticed the FAQ for 1.1 and below mentions support for FD TMC-8xx
> but the FAQ for 2.0 mentions support for FD TMC-950.
>
> I have tried booting from floppy with the boot -c option and disabling
> everything except what I believe the system is actually using and has found.
>
> Any advice, tips, tricks, techniques, tools, etc. would be greatly appreciated.
> Although I was able to intall from hardisk, I would still like to get support
> for the CD as there are still many ports and packages I would like to install.
>
> Thanks,
> 	Craig J. Eidem
> 	(206) 389-4196 Wk Number

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com       | Analysis & Technology, Inc.
FreeBSD Postmaster   jmb@FreeBSD.Org            | 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.                                        | Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life      | 703-418-2800 x346