Date:      Mon, 21 Dec 1998 21:31:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        alissa bader <molbloo@interport.net>
Cc:        Robert <robert@namodn.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stupid stupid stupid floppy question

On Mon, 21 Dec 1998, alissa bader wrote:

> > It is useful to put an entry in /etc/fstab, just like the one for the CD,
> > except the filesystem would be "msdos" not "cd9660".
>
> I tried doing this and rebooting.
>
> Now apparently my computer thinks there should be a bootable, mountable
> file on the floppy upon startup.  Because I can't get my machine to go
> through the startup process.  It goes down the list of devices and then
> simply hangs, and asks for the name of the complete shell.

I'll let someone else tell you HOW to edit /etc/fstab, but I will say that
maybe "ed" will work?

Anyway, when you do get to your fstab, you want to specify the "noauto"
option.  The line will look like:

# Device	Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass
/dev/fd0	/floppy		msdos	rw,noauto	0	0

  Kenneth J. Marsh             University of Washington
  durang@u.washington.edu        Chemical Engineering