Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:31:57 -0800 (PST)
From:      "K. Marsh" <durang@u.washington.edu>
To:        "Michael A. Endsley" <al7oj@customcpu.com>
Cc:        Freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: statically/dynamically based software

What two items?  FreeBSD and Linux?  al7oj@al7oj.ampr.org and
al7oj@al7oj.#nak.ak.usa.noam? statically based software and dynamically
based software?

Last I checked, Freebsd-newbies was for discussion, not questions.
FreeBSD-questions is for questions.  Anyway, I'll take a stab at telling
you something that you want to know.

FreeBSD and Linux are different in that there is only one FreeBSD, whereas
Linux is only a kernel, and there are a number of distributions.  Linux
supports more hardware faster, but FreeBSD is more stable and can run
Linux binaries.

As for the e-mail addresses, I don't know, but my best guess is that they
are both yours.

As for statically and dynamically based software, static software is
self-contained but dynamic software relies on library files.  static is
bigger, dynamic requires you to keep the appropriate library files handy.