Date:      Thu, 8 Feb 2001 10:08:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Brian Kraemer <kraemer@u.washington.edu>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Ports updating... Good ways?

On Thu, 8 Feb 2001, Jordan Hubbard wrote:

> That's why more sophisticated package management systems than our own
> have keywords like "replaces", "augments" and "occludes" in their
> metadata, each followed by a list of previous versions for which that
> keyword applies.  If it replaces a version, it's backwards compatible
> with that version.  If it augments a version, it's strictly an upgrade
> kit (e.g. just the deltas) and if it occludes a version, it means you
> have to have both installed if there are remaining dependencies on the
> old version.  Reference counts also help for knowing when the last
> dependency on something drops away and you can remove it too. :)
>
> Anyway, "make update" is basically a feature which is awaiting a Ports
> Hero to come along and add the necessary intelligence to actually
> automate it properly. :)

If we're willing to sacrifice a little bit of automation, "make
update" could ask the user what to do with each dependency. i.e.

  gtkwooba depends on port gtk. [R]eplace/[A]ugment/[O]cclude?
  gtkwooba depends on port libwooba. [R]eplace/[A]ugment/[O]cclude?

Of course all this would be fully documented :)

The major downside of this is that it depends (no pun intended) on the
user knowing how each dependency should be handled, which they may or may
not know. However I would think it would make implementing "make update"
much easier. Even with this user-interaction, I still think it would be a
big win over updating each port and dependency by hand.

-Brian