Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 20:47:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Does fdisk work?

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > Does fdisk work for others?  I have not been able to get it to
> > write anything on the disk.  I run it with the -i flag and answer
> > all the questions in the affirmative, yet upon running it again
> > (or disklabel) the disk still has no valid partion table (at least
> > not what I specified).  This on both a 2.0.5R and a 950726-SNAP
> > level system.
> >
> > All I can figure is that either fdisk is terminally broken or I am
> > missing something very fundamental about its use.  :-((
>
> fdisk -u, the -u option is required if you wish to write to the
> disk, -i write a master boot record, but no partition table.

I just set up FreeBSD a few days ago (after a few years using Linux) and
overall it's excellent!  But fdisk/disklabel are REALLY difficult to
figure out.  What FreeBSD needs is an menu-based fdisk more like Linux's
(or the sysinstall program).

At any rate, the one major problem I had setting up FreeBSD was that I
installed it on my second IDE hard drive and it refused to boot (well
actually it booted into LILO which is what I was running before I
installed FreeBSD).  I ended up having to download the DOS program
BootEasy in order to boot, but now BootEasy won't boot my DOS partition
(also on the second IDE drive).  And I never did figure out how to
reinstall the EasyBoot MBR from within FreeBSD!  Considering my
configuration, what would be the EXACT command to install a master boot
record on my first and second IDE hard drive from within FreeBSD?

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL