Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 1995 20:20:38 +1100 (EST)
From:      Paul Reece <paul@trumpet.net.au>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@ref.tfs.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: at the end of my tether..

On Mon, 13 Nov 1995, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > Hi all.. I'm sure this has been discussed MILLIONS of times, but I've
> > found myself stuck whilst trying to add a SCSI drive to my system.
> >
> > Basically, I have a 1.2gb IDE and a 375MB IDE drive currently in my
> > system - I've added a 4gb drive and want to partition it roughly as:
> > 3000MB/1000MB.
> >
> > I've loaded 2.0.5 boot disk and have reached the partitioning point where
> > it tells me that something is wrong about the geometry (and BIOS or
> > something).
> >
> > ANY idea how to fix this?  I have *no* idea what the geometry of the
> > drive is - I do notice that SCSI SELECT (its an Adaptec 2842 card) says
> > "Bios not installed" when booting...
>
> FreeBSD doesn't care about the geometry, only the bootblocks
> do (and BIOS (which the bootblocks use))
>
> if you haven't the BIOS loaded then you are not going to be booting off
> this drive right?
> in which case use anything that you like :)
> I suggest 64 heads/32sectors/4000cyls, as this is what Adaptec
> tent to like and doing so may save your butt if you ever turn
> the Bios on and want to amke a bootable partition on that drive..

The drive is:

Nov 14 14:08:23 jazz /kernel: (ahc1:0:0): "Quantum XP34300 F76D" type 0
fixed SCSI 2
Nov 14 14:08:24 jazz /kernel: sd0(ahc1:0:0): Direct-Access 4101MB
(8399520 512 byte sectors)

One other problem - I tried using the defaults it gave me (with its
constant complaining) - got to the point where it init'ed the drives and
it paniced and rebooted.

argh.. any EASIER way to do this without having to use sysinstall? (which
seems quite buggy when using on an 'already installed' system.

Can I just skip all this geometry garbage and use fdisk to specify what I
want, then disklabek and newfs the parts?

 - P