Date:      Fri, 1 Dec 1995 20:20:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Spontaneous Reboots...

Hi...

	This afternoon, I plugged in a /kernel that had all
the fixes that go with 'options JREMOD', and rebooted the machine.

	After returning to the machine after a period of time, I
found the machine had rebooted itself, which I took to be a random
thing, not really worried about it, considering that I am playing with
a "non-stable" kernel, but for some reason, i couldn't get my ppp
connection back up after it had rebooted.

	I mv'd back in the old kernel, that I had been running and
rebooted the machine, after which I could get ppp back up, no problem.

	Again, after returning to the machine on a commercial, I found
the machine once more rebooted, but, this time, I could get the ppp
connection back up and running.

	Now, I've been running this machine for a few weeks now, with
the only downtime being when I get a keybrd lockup, with about the
only exception to that being getting a "panic: m_copydata" error and
attempt to reboot, again, today.

	Right now, I'm not using a debuggable kernel (no core dumps
or anything), mainly because I don't think I have enough room to store
a core dump after a reboot on this machine, but I'm willing to try
it out, if it will help.

	Oh, as well, my last looks like this for the machine, right now:

hub# last
scrappy   ttyv1                     Fri Dec  1 19:59   still logged in
reboot    ~                         Fri Dec  1 19:56
scrappy   ttyv1                     Fri Dec  1 18:53 - crash  (01:02)
reboot    ~                         Fri Dec  1 18:53
shutdown  ~                         Fri Dec  1 18:50
scrappy   ttyv1                     Fri Dec  1 18:48 - shutdown  (00:02)
reboot    ~                         Fri Dec  1 18:19
scrappy   ttyv1                     Fri Dec  1 17:57 - crash  (00:21)
scrappy   ttyv0                     Fri Dec  1 17:56 - crash  (00:22)
reboot    ~                         Fri Dec  1 17:56
shutdown  ~                         Fri Dec  1 17:54
scrappy   ttyv0                     Fri Dec  1 17:53 - shutdown  (00:00)
reboot    ~                         Fri Dec  1 17:53
graham    ttyp3    nudge.io.org     Fri Dec  1 10:02 - 10:03  (00:00)

wtmp begins Fri Dec  1 10:02

	If this means anything...I find the entries of 'reboot' a litle
disconcerting, since it was a crash, not a reboot, but I take it that
that is normal?

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc