Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 10:09:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@riley-net170-164.uoregon.edu>
To:        Zachary McGibbon <mzac@axess.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A few questions....

On Tue, 5 Mar 1996, Zachary McGibbon wrote:

> Hello there.. first off, I'd like to ask the following... would it be
> practical to use FreeBSD on my home pc?  what can I use it for?

Well, what do _you_ use Unix for? :-)  I can see these things:

- Learning Unix (from user commands to sysadmin)
- Using an non-MS operating system
- Learn Xwindows
- Read source listings and learn how (not?) to program

> Currently, I am using ms-dos ver. 6.2 with win 3.1...  I read thru some
> of your docs on how to install the program and such, but it confuses me!

Let's take a look...

>  I know a bit about unix, so, some of it was familiar, but not all... the
> only thing I could figure out how to do was to download two exe files..
> one for a setup disk, and one to partition my hd? that's another problem.

What did you pull?  I don't think you got what you needed.

>   I have two hard disks.. my first (drive c) is 131 megs, with 80 megs
> free, and my second is a 730 meg, that has to have a driver loaded into
> mem for it to work.  what I would LIKE to possibly be able to do is to
> put BSD on my d drive.. how could I do that?  last time I did something
> like that (installing mini linux on my d drive) the drive crashed and I
> had to format?  could you help me out? thanks..

Sounds like a sector translator...do you load it from DOS or does it come
up before DOS?  you may need to get a version that goes into the mbr and
loads automatically on boot.

Otherwise, you should be OK.

> also, if I install it,
> can I have a sort of dual boot feature so I can still use dos and win
> 3.1?

Certainly may.  You'll have to ue OS-BS as the boot manager.

> thanks.. could you reply asap?  and I can't figure out how download
> the program itself!

You have options:

1.  Download it from ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/2.1.0-RELEASE.
2.  Buy the CDROM from Walnut Creek (http://www.cdrom.com).

I think you'd do better with the CD.

If you want to ftp install, read INSTALL in the above directory.