Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 1996 19:41:35 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jeffry Komala <jkomala@pioneer.bawel.net>
To:        Howard Lew <hlew@sequence.Stanford.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Diamond video card

Sorry for the delay replying to this email.
I've just come back from vacation and I am going through hundreds of emails.

> > This is not a question specific to freeBSD, but since it involves a very
> > popular brand name, I thought a lot of people would be interested.
> >
> > Does anybody ever encounter a problem with Diamond Stealth 64 PCI
> > Graphics 2000 series (DRAM version)?
> > If you have one, try run it under 800x600x 16bit resolution and see if
> > you encounter a blank screen.
> > It happens to me on two different new video cards on three different
> > motherboards: a generic 486DX4-100, an Intel Zappa, and a generic
> > Triton-based motherboard.
> > The cards I am using are the OEM version.
> >
> > If you also have a blank screen while running the above video mode, then
> > my theory is correct that every Stealth 64, at least the 2000 Graphics
> > series, has a serious hardware bug. Timing or interrupt problem?
> >

> Hmmm....  Are you using the S3 chipset with the S3 X-server?
> Have you tried it with a different monitor?
>

> Can you log in on another terminal, run X, get the blank screen, and see
> if it outputs any error message?  Does killing the X process recover the
> screen back or does the system just hang?

Actually, the blank screen problem with Diamond Stealth PCI Graphics 2000
series (previously known as Stealth 64) happened regardless of the OS I
was using.
In fact, using Diamond's own DOS SVGA diagnostic software the boards
still exhibited the same problem. What else does that tell you?

The problem only happened on this specific resolution:
 800 x 600 x 16bit color
Every other resolution ran just fine as far as my experienced.

Btw....the problem has nothing to do with the rest of the system since I
tried with many different parts/configurations.
I returned the second card I bought for my company but I am stuck with my
own card. :(

Jeffry Komala