Date:      Mon, 14 Jul 1997 23:51:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@www2.shoppersnet.com>
To:        "Jin Guojun[ITG]" <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        dg@root.com, drussell@saturn-tech.com, FreeBSD-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, brett@lariat.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, jwm@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU, root@meeko.eecs.Berkeley.EDU
Subject:   Re: AMD K6

On Mon, 14 Jul 1997, Jin Guojun[ITG] wrote:

> I cat two messages together to respond since I missed most time last weekend.
> I did not see any one give more clear spce.
> First of all, I have AMD K6-166, bought when it just born, and have overclocked
> to 200 MHz, and so far it has no problem at all. I have post the result of
> its performance on "Hardware performance guide for Pentium family" under
> http://www-itg.lbl.gov/ISS/hardware
>
> The Cyrix 6x86, some one has tested, is little bit faster and much cheaper,
> but less compatiability. It DOES not work on most moatherboard, I was told.
>
> The ADM K6, generally, works on most new motherboards. The key is that it has
> to be HX or TX PCI chipset based motherboard. If you use other PCI chipset,
> such as VX, it is not guaranted to work.
> The ASUS PCI-P/I-P55TVP4 is the bottum line, and ASUS TX97 is very reliable one.
>
> No big suprise. These motherboard is about $140-$155 in the past. Uauslly,
> the price should be dropped, but it seems goes up by $5 this time.
> I wonder it is the reason for K6 compatiability.
>
> I doubt those $80 motherboard can work for K6.

I've got one for around $80 wholesale that works.  Not as fast as
the TX or HX though, but it does support 384MB memory.  It uses the VXpro
chipset (VIA VP1) and has 75MHz & 83MHz jumpers as well as a switching
Voltage Regulator.  Now the computer is much cooler inside without that
linear VR.

> -Jin
>
> }>       I ma currently test driving an AMD K6/200 in a
> }> FIC PA-2005 motherboard and I am getting a lot of crashes.
> }> (actually it looks like a reset, no cores, no console messages
> }> just a spontaneous reboot). I am wondering if anyone has seen
> }> the K6 do similar things.  The vendor says "The K6 does support
> }> UNIX", but I am inclined to believe that he doesn't have a clue.
> }> I am thinking I will return the K6 and get a Cyrix M2, any thoughts?
> }
> }We've been totally unable to get the K6 to work reliably, nor have any
> }of the folks we've been talking to had much luck - the symptoms are
> }basically the same in each case, signal 11s all over the place and
> }make world failures.  What's weirder is that it will often work just
> }fine for days or weeks, the initial make world tests going fine, and
> }then it will just stop, no make world making it through from that
> }point on.  I'd never seen a CPU fail due to heat death, but it sure
> }seems like the only explanation here.  What's more worrisome is that
> }the other 4 testers had exactly the same thing happen.
> }
> ----- another message -------
> }
> }Anyway, FreeBSD, Inc. now owns an expensive piece of chip jewelry from
> }AMD since our 30 day return period also elapsed during testing. :(
> }
> }>> Have you tried the obvious controlled experiment: putting a Pentium into
> }>> the same motherboard?
> }>
> }>The problem is that there are still too many variables.  The K6 and a
> }>plain Pentium use different voltages, etc.  My best guess would be to try
> }>running the thing at a different voltage.  Several people have said they
> }>had to up the voltage a little to overclock the chip.  We might try
> }>bumping the voltage by .1 or .2 volts and see what happens.  Checking
> }>cooling never hurts, either.
> }
> }   Did that, no difference. I also changed the motherboard to a different
> }kind...no difference.

Shoppers Network (Support)      AMD K5/K6s, Cyrix 6x86, Intel Pentiums/Pro
Phone: (415) 759-8584           Email: howard@shoppersnet.com
==============================> WWW - http://www.shoppersnet.com