Date:      Mon, 13 Oct 1997 12:30:43 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc:        Douglas Carmichael <dcarmich@Mcs.Net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD for digital recording w/PCI multitrack in/out cards?

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Luigi Rizzo wrote:
> > What multitrack recording software exists for FreeBSD?
>
> it's a user-space thing, once we have solved the device problem as
> depicted above, any software available on the net for unix machines
> will do. i know of none at the moment but I think I have seen something
> on the net. check the oss page or some linux doc on audio.

I was going to comment on this earlier in response to the question of why
there is no good audio software for FreeBSD (which was bought up in the
recent Wintel outsels UNIX discussion).

Currently I'm working on a project (albeit at home) to do digital sound
effects with FreeBSD, and later multitracking. I've got some little X apps
I've written to give oscilloscope like readings of the sound inputs etc.,
(two channel only), but it's hell trying to write this stuff, and that's
the problem.. There's no documentation!

I've got the voxware faq, which seems to document voxware 0.001, (or is
there a newer FAQ? I couldn't find it), I'm using GUSPNP15 with my AWE64
and, well there's comments in the source. (although people who want to
mention that I should "UTSL" might be missing something!)

Anyway this all gives me the impression that until there's some stability
or just some available documentation (for a standard sound API) then it's
going to be really tricky to be writing any decent multitracker type
software.

N.B. This isn't a dig at the multimedia folks, because in the last year
they seem to have really got stuff moving nicely. I'm just saying that
it's not easy developing audio stuff at the moment - which might be why
I've taken up XLib instead. (Now that says it all!)

	Steve.

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342