Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 17:59:16 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   issetugid(2)

This has broken all sorts of things here.
I thought that the syscall interface for 2.2.x was being kept
unchanged.
This call makes it impossible to run binaries (e.g. vi)
compiled under 2.2.5+ on a 2.2.2 machine.
Surely the library routine that calls this
should cope with it not being in the kernel,
in the same way that Peter did his new syscalls.

was this considered teh 'correct thing to do?'
was there discussion?

I must have dismissed it and now it's bitten me :(

I have many machiens on people's desks here running everything
from 2.1.0 to 2.2.5, but teh chroot environments they use are all
2.2.2. I was upgrading the chroot environment to 2.2.5(+) but
it can only be used on the newest machines, and I don't want to have to
upgrade all those machines..!

Peter, how did you trap your new syscalls? (i can't even remember
which they were)
I'll see if I can work up a similar workaround if I can find a reference.

julian
(GRRR)