Date:      Sat, 27 Sep 1997 10:02:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "David E. Cross" <dec@phoenix.its.rpi.edu>
Cc:        sthaug@nethelp.no, tlambert@primenet.com, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'fxp' driver/hardware lossage (was Re: Alexander B. Povol's mail)

On Sat, 27 Sep 1997, David E. Cross wrote:

> Technically this is not even a colission  situation.  Many new NICs and
> Hubs (both must support it to work) support full-duplex 10BaseT, allowing
> 20MBits/sec.  I am not sure what happens when it gets into the hub and
> needs to be propogated to other ports though *shrug*.

  That is an etherswitch.  Etherswitches learn which ports are using what
MAC addresses, and only direct traffic to the right ports.  Etherswitches
are basically bridges with lots of ports.  They even support bridging
protocols like 802.1d to support networks with lots of interconnected
switches.

  A hub is just a repeater.  It may detect some kinds of errrors, but
probably just jabber errors.

Tom