Date:      Sun, 8 Oct 2000 01:24:29 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Matthew Rochlin <rochlin@mediaone.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: HP Laserjet with JetDirect Network card -- how-to

On Sat, 7 Oct 2000, Matthew Rochlin wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestion...
>
> It works (mostly), but only on postscript files. (I don't have ghostscript
> or any other postscript generating tool on my BSD machine at the moment,

If you have a Postscript printer, you don't need ghostscript, except
maybe for viewing PS on-screen. gs allows a non-PS printer to print PS
files. PS printers used to be very expensive due to Adobe's high
licensing fees.

> lpr test.prn
>
> Printed out the document (your email, actually) fine.    But if I try to
> print plain text, I get just the first line, somewhat garbled at the end
> (the next two lines print out shifted to the far right and the rest of the
> document doesn't print at all).

The infamous stairstep effect! This happens because a unix newline is a
single LF character, where the printer is probably expecting a CR and an
LF like what DOS produces.  I'll bet if you try to print a plain text
file with one word per line,
it
   will
        look
             like
                  this.

Having said that, I don't remember how to fix it but if you search the
archives under "staircase" or "stairstep" you should turn up something.
It was a simple fix, I just don't recall what it was.

> Is there maybe something I need to do to distinguish plain text from
> postscript?

Not on my printer; it seems to recognize the Postscript header and deal
with it automagically. PS or plain text, I just do a 'lpr filename' and
it works.

> Thanks!
> (PS -- I also had to enable the printer spool daemon in
> /etc/rc.conf  ...  lpd_enable="YES" ... per the Almost Complete
> FreeBSD.  Not enabled by default on my system.  Maybe an installation
> option I missed?)

Woops, I forgot about that - sorry! It's been a while. I think the
reason it's not on by default is that a) most things aren't in FreeBSD
and b) lots of systems, e.g. servers, don't have or need a printer.

PS - you should copy replies to the list (which I have done here). Most
of these folks know a lot more than I do.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
[1]    Bus error                     netscape