Date:      Wed, 23 Jul 1997 17:09:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jaime Bozza <wheelman@nuc.net>
To:        Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@giovannelli.it>
Cc:        Philipp Reichmuth <chokepnt@prima.ruhr.de>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world on the K6

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Gianmarco Giovannelli wrote:

> At 01.28 23/07/97 +0200, Philipp Reichmuth wrote:
> >Someone had mailed me that doing
> >"make cleandir && make obj && make depend && make && make install"
> >instead of doing "make world" solved the problems with the K6. In fact,
> >it really does.
>
> Hei, I mailed you this thing but I am not sure if it is an equivalent of
> make world....

I've noticed many times that a make world will fail somewhere.  Especially
when I haven't done one in a while. <G>  Here's what I usually end up
doing:

1) Manually doing a "make depend all install" on the include directory

2) Manually doing a "make depend all install" on the lib directory

3) Running a make world.

9 times out of 10 this will solve the problems.  From what I've seen, a
make world needs to compile certain items before installing the include
and libraries, and in many cases those tools rely on something IN the
includes or libraries.  Sort of a Catch-22.

On the other hand, I had a system that kept on freaking out on me every
time I ran a make world.  This was a 2.1.6 system, which I was updating to
2.1-stable (at least for now) ...  No matter what I did, a make world
wouldn't work.  It would give strange errors, which I would assume to be
some sort of memory hole.  I had to run the steps manually. <sigh>

Jaime Bozza
Nucleus Communications, Inc.