Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 09:29:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        User Mike <mike@BLACKJAC.mw.mediaone.netDEST>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: path statements

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997, User Mike wrote:

> i tried to alter my path with the .login and .profile files in my
directory. by for some reason i'm not getting anything now. i had to
type /usr/bin/mail in order to even get to the mail directory -- please
help! sorry if it's a stupid question.
> mike webbe

1) What shell are you using?  Use echo $SHELL to find out.  .profile
is for sh or bash.  My .login has no path statement in it.  I use csh
(or tcsh) and the path statement is in .cshrc or .tcshrc.

2) After editing the path in, say, .cshrc, type
source .cshrc
to get the file reread so you don't have to log in again to find out
if it worked.

3) Use echo $PATH to see your path statement.

	Annelise