Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 17:03:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Serious performance issue with 2.2.5-RELEASE

Without getting into the religious sub-thread, I noticed the following
difference between 2.2.1 and 2.2.5.

With 2.2.1 on two boxs one running 30 instances of mgetty and the other
running 64 at boot immediately after the date is displayed the login
prompt and all the mgettys came right up.  With 2.2.5 there is a several
second delay before the login prompt and the start of the mgettys.

Changing those ports from `off' to `on' in /etc/ttys and doing kill -HUP 1
shows the same behavior, 2.2.1 the modems show TR immediately with 2.2.5
it takes a few seconds.

No biggie, we don't need to reboot too often.  :)

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@diamond.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD