Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 20:02:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Shaun <shaun@thecore.com>
To:        Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
Cc:        Gary Lahr <lahrg@atlanta.ds.adp.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba

I experienced a similiar problem but it turned out to be that NT 4.0-SR2
now encrypts the password and samba by default was expecting plain-text
passwords. If you are using NT 4.0 with Service Release 2, this may be
your problem. I believe this problem is discussed in the documentation
that comes with at least the latest version of samba.

On Thu, 9 Apr 1998, Capriotti wrote:
> At 12:42 PM 4/8/98 -0400, Gary Lahr wrote:
> >I am trying to setup samba on version 2.2.5 of BSD. I loaded the software
> >from the ports collection and I am having a difficult time getting it to
> >work. My config file is very small:
> >
> >[homes]
> >   comment = Home Directories
> >   browseable = yes
> >   writable = yes
> >   read only = no
> >   create mode = 0750
>
> OK. I don't have too much experience with [homes], but I guess there is a
> parameter missing there.
>
> sometihng like path=/momes/$user
>
> I am not sure.
>

> >but I cannot connect to the share from NT. I am trying to map a drive to
> >\\develbsd\gary. develbsd is the DNS name for the system and gary is a valid
> >account. Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? When I map to the drive I
> >get the username password prompt but the name and password don't match
> >according to the message I get. I assure you I'm using the correct password
> >for the gary account.
> >
> >I can use the smbclient to map to an NT share so it looks like the service
> >is working ok.
> >
> >any help would be great...thanks
>

> Had a similar problem before !
>
> NT is slow. Allow it 2 minutes - minimun - to read the network again, or it
> will try to use the cached network info it's saved.
>
> If you have your user list on the FBSD machine, AND an NT on the network,
> you will need to take special care, or the username/password won't work.
>
> Take a closer look at the documentation; If you can't locate it, unpack the
> samba package in one directory, and search for the .txt and html files
> there. They solve almost any problem.
>
> I hope it helped.

+-- http://www.download.net ------------- http://www.thecore.com --+
| Shaun M. Finn                    TechnoCore Communications, Inc. |
| shaun@thecore.com                Internet Web Services & Access  |
| VOICE: (732)928-7400             P.O. Box 106                    |
|   FAX: (732)928-7402             Jackson, NJ 08527-0106          |