Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 08:10:36 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Sasha Egan <wildcard@dax.belen.k12.nm.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   SSH install difficulties.

Hey,
I am haveing some trouble installing ssh for some reason.
I am trying to use the port that came with 2.2.6

It will start the /usr/ports/security/ssh/work/ssh-1.2.22/configure script
and that does all the configuring until it reaches the part where
configure is trying to install for X...it searches for some xutils but
then the script fails with...:

checking for xauth... no
configure: error: configuring with X but xauth not found - aborting
su-2.01#

but here is the really wierd part...xauth does exist...I can even execute
it.

su-2.01#locate xauth
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth
/usr/X11R6/man/man1/xauth.1.gz
su-2.01#/usr/X11R6/xauth
/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth:  creating new authority file /root/.Xauthority
Using authority file /root/.Xauthority
xauth>

I am stumped I even checked the configure script for path problems but the
ac_help string was pointing to /usr/X11R6/bin
also those strings were confusing....

Anyway I was hoping that maybe someone has had this prolem and might be
able to give me a hand...I really need to install ssh or some
authentication software, I caught someone sniffing passwords...I think
that it is time to encrypt sensative transactions.

Thanks
Sasha