Date:      Thu, 3 Dec 1998 14:11:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
To:        Bill Hamilton <billh@finsco.com>
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: /var wiped

On Thu, 3 Dec 1998, Bill Hamilton wrote:
> I lost /var the other day.
> fsck core dumped everytime on it.
> fsdb was no help.
> So, ... I closed by eyes and did a newfs /var and now the system
> will come up. But I get various messages about missing directories.
> I create them as needed.
> This was a rather recent install of 2.2.7R without any ports except ksh.
> What directories would I normally have on /var?
> What files might I have lost that I don't know about yet?

Well, you lost your logs and the pkg info for ksh but thats
probably about it.  Not too painful.  Heres a massaged du

/var/account
/var/at/jobs
/var/at/spool
/var/backups
/var/crash
/var/cron/tabs
/var/db/pkg
/var/log
/var/mail
/var/msgs
/var/preserve
/var/run
/var/rwho
/var/spool/lock
/var/spool/lpd
/var/spool/mqueue
/var/spool/output/lpd
/var/spool/output
/var/tmp/vi.recover
/var/yp
/var/games

Dan
--
 Dan Busarow                                                  949 443 4172
 Dana Point Communications, Inc.                            dan@dpcsys.com