Date:      Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:22:53 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        "Brent J. Nordquist" <bjn@visi.com>
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/Alpha make buildworld stops at groff

On Thu, 20 Aug 1998, Brent J. Nordquist wrote:

> | Are you running a native kernel?
>
> Absolutely, kernel.avanti that you sent me, with the binaries from that
> big .tar.gz in your home directory (bin, usr/bin, etc.).  It compiled
> partway and then just stopped.
>
> Since I posted that message, I've had the kernel panic twice.
> I'm starting over again on the theory that I've screwed something up.
>
> One question:  are the NetBSD ffs and FreeBSD ufs filesystems compatible?
> One thing I didn't do when switching from the John Birrell hybrid
> environment was re-newfs the filesystems; I've just been mounting them
> as ufs under the native environment.

There was a serious bug in fsck which caused 'freeing free frag' and
similar panics.  Make sure you update and rebuild fsck then forcibly
re-check your filesystems with fsck -f /dev/xxx.

Since the kernel is still changing fairly rapidly, you must be able
to build your own kernels.  You can get patches to the -current kernel
sources for this in http://www.freebsd.org/~dfr.  The latest is
alpha-sys-diff-200898.gz.

Please also start reading the cvs-commit list so that you can keep track
of things like the fsck problem.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
					Fax:   +44 181 381 1039