Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 11:44:53 +1000 (EST)
From:      Rowan Crowe <rowan@sensation.net.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NIS Master and non-split passwd files

On Fri, 9 Jul 1999, Ben Vaughn wrote:

>     I just noticed that since I am using a /var/yp/master.passwd file, when
> adding users I have to adduser on the master and then copy the entry over to
> the /var/yp/master.passwd file. Does anyone know of how to keep these files
> in sync with each other? I know its not advisable to make nis use
> /etc/master.passwd, so I am avoiding that situation. If anyone knows of a
> way to use /etc/master.passwd while stripping anything <UID1000, that would
> also be nice.

I'm working on something like this at the moment. It will either use a
hacked 'pw' or a chrooted environment, as 'pw' has /etc/ hard coded as the
directory that the password files are stored in.

For now I'm doing the same as you, adduser, copy the master.passwd entry
over to the NIS master password file, delete the entry from master.passwd,
run make to propagate changes out. I also have to choose the UID manually
to make sure I'm not duplicating it. This method is fine but it gets a
little tedious...

FWIW, I use NIS over 2 machines with each one having a 0-999 UID range for
local accounts which don't need to/shouldn't be shared. Each master.passwd
has a '+:::::::::' entry at the end for everything else. Both machines run
ypserv with one of them a master and one a slave - VERY handy if the
master dies, as the slave/client won't freeze up trying to authenticate.

Cheers.

--
Rowan Crowe                              http://www.rowan.sensation.net.au/
Sensation Internet Services                    http://www.sensation.net.au/