Date:      Mon, 1 Nov 1999 17:22:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      J McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        Martin Mactaggart <martinm@visualedge.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Newbies <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>, Carsten Holst <carsten@holstweb.dk>
Subject:   Re: A few questions

>performance and server oriented than Linux, which in turn tends to be
>considered by many as being more user friendly.
There was a recent debate here over how FreeBSD's file system *may* be
better for reliablility than linux, even though it *may* be slower.  The
FreeBSD TCP/IP processing routines are supposedly faster and more robust
than almost anyone else's.  Also, the filesystem makes more sense and is
well laid out.  FreeBSD, unlike Linux, is based on actual UNIX OS code,
whereas Linux is a very good workalike to unix.

>    Additionally, Linux is actually a Kernel (correct me if I am wrong)
>rather than an OS: vendors add utilites to the Kernel to come up with an OS,
>which is not the case for FreeBSD;  FreeBSD is a complete, freestanding, OS
This means FreeBSD can offer a level of integration and coherence that
cannot be offered by linux.
However, to the credit of several linux distros, linux autoconfigures much
more in the way of hardware, and *can* easily be set up from the beginning
to shield you from the console and go straight to an integrated
point-and-click desktop (e.g. redhat, mandrake, caldera).  I found it
makes sense to play with linux for a while,  then if you want the features
of FreeBSD and are willing to make some sacrifices
(installation/customization ease, hardware support, different package/port
management), go for it !!