Date:      Mon, 21 Sep 1998 16:01:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Luis Rios <lrios@ziplink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird FTP Stuff.

On Sun, 20 Sep 1998, Luis Rios wrote:

> Here's the Scoop: I've created an NFS server with eight UWFS drives
> with mirroring enabled.  This NFS server has three disks mounted on
> /home1 /home2 /home3.  I have a ftp machine that mounts this NFS
> Server for access to home directories.  When a users directory resides
> on /home1 the ftpd daemon begins eating an enormous amount of CPU time
> creating a lag for users logging in.  Any other home directory has no
> issue.  I can't figure it out. I've mounted the file system from other
> machines and cannot replicate the problem. I've come to the conclusion
> that ftpd cannot mount the drive to change directories without
> spinning it's wheels.  I can't figure out why.  It's been three days
> and I'm tired and frustrated. Any ideas or opinions please forward to
> me..

People aren't trying to FTP files to themselves, are they?

If you have two systems with the NFS mounted homes, if someone tries to
FTP a file from one machine to another, the file will disappear when the
reads and writes collide.

Can  you get ftpd to hang yourself?  what's the exact sequence of
commands?

Doug White