Date:      Tue, 2 May 2000 17:18:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Konrad Heuer <kheuer@gwdu60.gwdg.de>
To:        Lorenzo Iania <l.iania@sintesi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: lpr: order of print requests

On Tue, 2 May 2000, Lorenzo Iania wrote:

> Warren Losh wrote:
>=20
> > LPR queues up the reuqests and prints them in order smallest to
> > largest to reduce the average wait time for a job at the expense of
> > having a larger standard deviation in the wait times for jobs.  Maybe
> > this is what you are running into.  I don't know if there's a way to
> > disable this behavior or not.  At least that's what I recall lpd doing
> > years ago when I ran a unix lab in school.  I didn't go check the code
> > to see if it still did that or not.
> >
> > Warner
> >
>=20
> I think you're right, because the process that generates the requests is
> only one. It consecutively opens pipes to lpr and then closes them. In
> effect it builds invoices from delivery documents and the printed numbers=
 of
> invoices is effectively out of order, while the requests are ordered by
> number of invoice. Each pipe is opened and closed: so the processes are n=
ot
> concurrent: one begins after the other has finished.
> So, is there a way to disable this strange behavior?

Hmm, I've never seen such a strange behaviour. Lpd should do FIFO. Could
you give some more infos about your environment (os release, input filter
program, printer type)?

Regards

Konrad Heuer                                    Personal Bookmarks:
Gesellschaft f=FCr wissenschaftliche
   Datenverarbeitung mbH G=D6ttingen              http://www.freebsd.org
Am Fa=DFberg, D-37077 G=D6ttingen                   http://www.daemonnews.o=
rg