Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:49:20 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can several java distributions coexist?

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Fernan Aguero wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have for some time two jdk131 installations, the native
> FreeBSD one and the linux one.
>
> Question: since java applications are not 'branded' in the
> notion of brandelf, what is the use of having a linux-java?
> Just for linux-browsers to use it?

  The Linux jdk is used to bootstrap the FreeBSD one.

> Question 2: I am about to install and try newer versions of
> both Artemis and ACT (see /usr/ports/biology). However, a
> notice on the master site says:
>
> 	UNIX users should get Java version 1.1 from the Sun JDK 1.1
> 	download page or the JDK 1.1 ports page. Newer versions of
> 	Java may be suitable depending on the platform.
>
> 	GNU/Linux users should install the Blackdown.org beta
> 	release of JRE version 1.4.1. The Sun versions of Java
> 	1.3.1, 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 have various long-standing bugs
> 	(4533641, 4627564) which make them unusable.
>
> Now, what do they mean by 'UNIX users' and 'depending on the
> platform'. Of course I am asking this question to them, but
> would also like to hear opinions from the FreeBSD Java
> people as to how stable/buggy are the Sun versions on
> FreeBSD.
> Again, what if I just rm the FreeBSD native jdk and keep
> only the linux one. Would a java app find it? May I then try
> blackdown.org's linux-java as suggested by the developers of
> artemis and act?

  Well, java applications don't find the jdk, the jdk/jre must find the
java application.  You run Java applications like:

  java className

  So "java" should in your path, JAVA_HOME should point to the base
jdk/jre directory, and CLASSPATH should contain required classes.
"className" should be a class in your class path.

  FreeBSD uses "javavm" instead of "java".  javavm is just a shell script
which manages multiple jdk/jre installs.  It sets JAVA_HOME depending on
which one it runs.  You don't need to use though.  You can just add
/usr/local/jdk14/bin to your PATH, and set JAVA_HOME to /usr/local/jdk14,
and you are done (assuming Native jdk1.1.1).

  Many Java applications have shell scripts to start them.  For instance,
Tomcat comes with startup.sh that stuffs a bunch of things into CLASSPATH
before executing "java".

Tom