Date:      Mon, 9 Nov 1998 03:09:18 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Phillip Salzman <psalzman@gamefish.pcola.gulf.net>
To:        SnowFox <snowfox@newtoy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SLOW ethernet send...

On Sun, 8 Nov 1998, SnowFox wrote:

> I've got a 2.2.7-RELEASE box with a generic NE2000 card.
>
> For some reason, sending is really slow; approx 120-130k/sec on an FTP file,
> perhaps even slower on POP. Sending is fast, however.

	What type of cable do you have on it?  Is it coax?  Coax
is really slow.  Recieving should be faster than sending, as NE2000's
are not the best card.  I recieved pretty good rates (900k/sec) when
I had a pair of Realtek PCI NE2000 clones.

> FTP transmissions happen in small bursts at very regular intervals - about
> 3/4 sec apart

	Check your MTU, are there collisions?

> Any clues as to what could be causing this?

	Bad wire?

	WHat brand is it?

--
Phillip Salzman
"Shall I share my brain?  No, said the dwarf."