Date:      Tue, 5 Jan 1999 14:03:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@phone.net>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: max partitions in one slice?

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Greg Lehey wrote:
> > Hmm - considering that two file systems is at least one two few for a
> > Unix system, I'm curious as to what you're going to do with those few?
> >
> > To justify my statement, and start a discussion of file system
> > allocation, you want the following (bare miminum):
> >
> > 1) OS installed software (/ & /usr)
> >
> > 2) Spool area (/var)
> >
> > 3) Things that didn't come with the OS (i.e. - your home directory).
> >
> > On second thought, if you don't ever spool anything (i.e. - no mail,
> > no printer, nothing logged, etc.), you can get away without
> > /var. That's not very likely, though.
>
> You haven't said why you think you need separate file systems for all
> these things.  It's perfectly possible to have a UNIX system with only
> one file system; I have at least one on my network, and that may be
> too few.

Fair enough.

Heavily-trafficed things (mail spools, printer spools, the log files)
get pulled into one area so that writes to them will be isolated
during a crash.

Stuff that doesn't come from the vendor gets a separate file system so
that it's got separate backups, is well out of the way for OS
upgrades, etc.

> In general, there are three possible reasons for having more than one
> file system:
>
> 1.  Security.  If you break one file system, you still have the
>     other.  This was once a serious problem, but nowadays the systems
>     are so reliable that it hardly counts.  I've been running BSD for
>     nearly 7 years now, and I've only had one crash (on a BSD/OS root
>     file system, FWIW).  Still, this and superstition are the reason
>     that I accept a separate root file system on the system disk.

That's one reason for splitting /var off from /. Not the only one,
though.

> 2.  Because they are on different disks.  Vinum will solve this
>     problem too.  See http://www.lemis.com/vinum.html for more
>     details.

Vinum? How is this different from a RAID implementation? For my
workstations, I've never needed such a thing, but some of my clients
use RAID for databases.

> 3.  Because otherwise it would be too big to make a backup on a single
>     tape.

That's only if your backup software is truly hosed. Since the stock
software that comes with BSD supports multi-tape backups just fine,
there's no reason to worry about that.

> The biggest disadvantage of separate partitions is that it fragments
> your data space.  In this forum we continually see people running out
> of space, usually on /var, and wanting to know what to do.  If they
> hadn't had a separate /var in the first place, they wouldn't have had
> the problem.

True - it does make things inconvenient that way. That's why you want
to minimize the number - especially for things that don't come with
the OS.  On the other hand, I got tired of seeing SunOS systems (that
put /var on / and way to little space on /) die horribly when /var
filled up. That gets solved by moving /var off of /. /var fills up,
but the system still runs mostly fine.

Which is another reason for having a seperate file system: to provide
firewalls (terminology courtesy of Mike O'Dell). I split /usr off from
/ on my system, in part so I don't have to worry about filling / while
mucking about with /usr/ports and thus causing real problems. Ditto
for putting your own stuff on a different file system from root, or
one where you log files, etc. That way, a runaway user process can't
cripple the system by running something critical out of space (or,
given the 10% slop, so close that it'll finish the job itself).

	<mike