Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:54:54 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Dowdal <jdowdal@destiny.erols.com>
To:        Ade Lovett <ade@remarq.com>
Cc:        Blaz Zupan <blaz@gold.amis.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: More 3.0-STABLE woes

As described before, I had a machine configured as a bridge with ed0 a SMC
Elite 16+ (10mbit side), and a wb0 device (cheap clone) on the 100mbit
side.  I got repeated panics.  I tore apart and reassembled the machine
after getting POed, and also turned off the bridging and ifconfig ed0
down.  Without ed0 no crashes (up 8 days).  Other people have reported
having ed0 in common with these crashes.  I have had no trouble with the
wb0 card alone.  Ed0 is directly connected to an empty hub; wb0 is
connected directly to  a windoze machine with a crossover cable.  Could
the problem be related to all transmit and no receive on ed0?  ed0 worked
fine when it was connected to my windoze machine (instead of wb0).

I have reason to suspect ed0 because the machine only crashed when winamp
downloaded a mp3 through samba.  It never crashed when it was local, or
when I used the bsd machine's console instead of the windows machine as an
xterminal.

 This weekend or next time i have time to burn 4 hours beating on this
thing if it doesn't want to behave, I'll try rebooting with ed0 enabled
after installing a replacement CPU fan.  I'll report the presence or
absense of crashes with or without ed0/bridging.

John