Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 1999 17:20:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        David Greenman <dg@root.com>
Cc:        cvs-committers@FreeBSD.ORG, cvs-all@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD/OS compatibility (was: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf ..

On Thu, 11 Mar 1999, David Greenman wrote:

>    We actually haven't had compatibility with modern BSD/OS binaries now for
> several years. We simply don't support their rather unusual shared library
> mechanism. What we're giving up is some shakey compatibility with v2.0 and
> older binaries.

Yes and no.

There is compatibility with 3.x binaries compiled statically.

4.0 uses ELF and supports standard dynamic shared libraries (ie. not their
funky static shared libraries), which we don't currently have
compatibility with but I think we could if someone spent a short amount of
time.

On top of that, current versions of BSD/OS can run FreeBSD binaries that
are statically linked.  Not sure if a.out and ELF both run, but at least
one of them does.

It is still useful for various things, and I think quite a number of
people use the compatibility for things like frontpage extensions.