Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 22:18:36 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Ruffian again..

On 20 Apr 1999, Christian Weisgerber wrote:

> Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com> wrote:
>
> > Getting documentation was the thing which stopped this project. It seems
> > that the firmware on these board only has a partial similarity with
> > AlphaBIOS (which is fairly well documented now). Stefan Esser was working
> > on this.
>
> Okay, now that somebody else has brought it up:
>
> Just what needs to be done, to get FreeBSD going on a Ruffian? At what
> point has progress stalled? If I wanted to work on this, where should I
> jump in, whom should I talk to?
>
> I don't recall ever seeing anything by Stefan Esser on this. (Is that
> the same Stefan Esser who owns the NCR driver?)

I have a bootstrap which runs in the same way as linload.exe from the
AlphaBIOS firmware. It can load kernels (only from dedicated disks, not
fdisk partitioned ones) but not much else.

The firmware for the Ruffian was sufficiently different from AlphaBIOS
that this program did not run. It appears that even Linux needs a special
version of linload.exe for this board and documentation as to what the
differences are is either unavailable or under NDA.

Once that bridge is crossed, code needs to be written to initialise the
runtime environment for the kernel which will involve switching to some
kind of OSF palcode (or something very like it). In principle this isn't
too hard but its fiddly and very hard to debug.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com