Date:      Mon, 19 Jul 1999 01:49:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Tani Hosokawa <unknown@riverstyx.net>
Cc:        David Schwartz <davids@webmaster.com>, Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: poor ethernet performance?

On Mon, 19 Jul 1999, Tani Hosokawa wrote:

> > > 	Yes, cable properties change over time, over months or years, sure. As for
> > > current flowing causing "energy build up", any magnetic field that's going
> > > to build around an Ethernet cable due to current flowing through it has
> > > affected the cable's characteristics as much as it is going to in a tiny
> > > fraction of a second.
> > >
> > > 	An Ethernet cable does not need to 'warm up'.
> >
> > 	I guess you have a point.  There isn't a lot of current flowing
> > through the ethernet cable anyways.  I guess what I am saying is that when
> > you test something and when you use something, it's totally different.
> > Just like when you test a HD, you know what the max rate is.  But that
> > doesn't mean that's the same in real world use.
>
> I guess, but with an ethernet cable tester (assuming he's not just doing a
> basic connectivity test) it ought to fully simulate sending some basic bit
> patterns across the cable.  That's the way any of the cable diagnostics
> hardware I've ever worked with did it.  And that should be a completely
> reasonable indication of soundness.

	And that still doesn't work the same way as in the real world.
Pretty much like with our experience with the ETinc router card...  The
other one works fine but this one pasts all tests and even those with a
FireBird and a T-Bird...  The problem only happens with incoming data of
large packets hanging at certain times of the day.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]