Date:      Sat, 4 Dec 1999 11:31:09 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Jacob <mjacob@feral.com>
To:        "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
Cc:        cvs-committers@freebsd.org, cvs-all@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/kern subr_bus.c

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Matthew Jacob wrote:
> > > This is a ridiculous proposition, you wanting me to spend about 500 to
> > > 1000 Euro, just to make your life easier. If you can't fix typo's when
> >
> > No, I want folks be competent and responsible integrators. And I'll
> > back this with over 20 years experience in this area.
>
> I don't think anyone is against clean tree build testing; its the
> expectation that everyone should have to come up with the hardware to do
> their own testing in a reasonable amount of time.

[
  Just my opinion about rational shared source development - I'm not
  trying to start a flame war here. There are some toolsets in the
  world (not open sourced) that automate a lot of this and making it
  less of an issue, but they're not really available to us. In larger
  companies, there are integration groups that do this for a living so
  that development engineers don't have to do this. That's not available
  here either.
]

I mostly agree. It's unreasonable to expect everyone to be like me and
spend 2-4K$/yr on FreeBSD specific h/w whether or not I have a customer
to pay me to do so or not.

I'm mostly concerned with kernel cleanliness- because if that doesn't work
the rest of it doesn't matter. I mean, I really don't care if trek is
broken today.

I believe it *is* reasonable to ask the following:

	If you make a change to the kernel, clearly you must have
	compiled it and tested it yourself. Please make sure that you
	do a compile and test with up to date merged sources *before* the
	CVS commit. If, during the merge/update for the last test,
	somebody has changed sys/param.h and you have to rebuild
	completely, well, that's bad luck for you[1]. If you have all
	architectures supported, please do this for both architectures
	unless the files you change do not affect the other architecture
	at all.

	If you make a change to the kernel and do not have the other
	architecture to work with, please utilize the resources that
	FreeBSD.org has (will) provide to at least *compile* the kernel.
	There should be an alpha (beast.cdrom.com) up nearly all the time
	just for this purpose. Because this is inconveniently separate
	from the source you're merging/committing, doing a cvs update
	on beast (e.g.) and compiling there *after* you commit (post
	checking in this case) is reasonable.

It's unreasonable to expect everyone to do a complete makeworld for single
fixes in user space. However, a compile on both architectures in playplens
for both of the affected source is not unreasonable.

It would not be reasonable to expect every commit to be audited this way.
Clearly if you're doing a batch of commits, testing/compiling after all
the pieces are in is another way. In a global shared source base, windows
of time while things are in transition in -current are to be expected.
However, getting the test compile done before leaving for a 3 day weekend
would be heartily applauded.

[1]: it was this step that had me at the office until 8PM last night
building a stupid entire kernel for NetBSD-sparc. Speed is so relative.
After starting out with "I'm at link phase for the kernel- let's go have
lunch" you'd think that watching a SS10 crawl through a kernel build would
seem fast. It doesn't.

> I'd submit that a set of central systems able to handle patch-sets in a
> batch manner would satisfy eveyone if turnaround could be delivered in a
> reasonable amount of time (say 2 to 4 hours?).
>
> Does someone want to get handy with perl, formail, and procmail and create
> such a beast?
>
> I'm fairly sure that the cvs commit checker could verify that the checkin
> had an approved MD5 signature.

I would think that this could be done within a VPN for FreeBSD.org.

-matt