Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2000 10:08:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sysinstall 'A'uto partitioning

On Thu, 9 Mar 2000, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

:"Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

:> > Or are you saying that the newbie option would just use the
:> > entire disk as one partition (the way that MacOS 10 server
:> > does...)?

:> No, that's evil for a lot of reasons which I won't go into here. :)

:I don't agree... A small /, and a huge /usr, with an additional var
:symlink, shouldn't cause any troubles to newbies, and avoid some
:problems. I think that the "use all available space" option ought to do
:this.

Something like this:

12:44pm lich  /home/jamie %df -k
Filesystem             Type  kbytes     use     avail  %use Mounted on
/dev/root               xfs    99816    29319    70497  30  /
/dev/usr                xfs  8717760  2909580  5808180  34  /usr

This is an Irix box, but I tend to partition my FreeBSD boxes the same
way (for workstations anyway, servers of course vary; which was the point
of this discussion I believe).

Even with servers I only vary the above slightly.  If a part of the
directory tree needs more space I will throw a disk on and slice it up.

Here's a sample:

12:48pm banshee  /home/jamie %df -k
Filesystem             Type  kbytes     use     avail  %use Mounted on
/dev/root               xfs    99816    33997    65819  35  /
/dev/usr                xfs  4166080  3202004   964076  77  /usr
/dev/dsk/dks1d4s7       xfs  8759744  1916808  6842936  22  /usr/home5
/dev/dsk/dks1d2s7       xfs  4268480   520436  3748044  13  /usr/local

The next chunk of space to get it's own drive is /var/spool, which for me
contains user mail queues as well as mqueue, named maps, and ftp's home.

Optimally you would just add more space a grow a filesystem into it, but
that unrealistic for a multitude of reasons.

I have swap divided among the three drives currently like so:

12:52pm banshee  /home/jamie %swap -l
lswap path         dev    pri swaplo   blocks     free  maxswap    vswap
    1 /dev/swap
                   0,105    0      0   262144   262144   262144        0
    2 /dev/dsk/dks1d2s2
                   0,148    0      0   262144   262144   262144        0
    3 /dev/dsk/dks1d4s2
                   0,155    0      0   262144   262144   262144        0

/dev/root, /dev/usr, and /dev/swap all come off the root drive, which Irix
uses the above easy to remember names for.  I could just as easily mount
them using the actual device node entries as well.

Someone mentioned booting off mirrored drives.  This I've done before as
well.  I've done it in Solaris and Irix.

Sun's meta tools are an example of how not to do this.  One way mirroring,
you start with two filesystems, one live, one empty, and hope your
corruption doesn't spread to your mirror should you have any.  This was as
of Solaris 2.6.1.  If disksuite got any better in 2.7, or 2.8, I don't
know.

With Irix you have two raw devices, which you assign as mirrors, and you
then newfs and apply data.  If either fails, it drops till you repair and
bring it back online.  Still not as nice as external SCSI to SCSI RAID
doing it for you, but definately better than the above.  I won's say XLV
is perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it beats Disksuite all
to hell for a software RAID solution.

Disksuite and XLV both support 0+1, and it's basically the same as using
single partitions as mirrors.  Suffice it to say, if you have to deal with
/dev/md on a Solaris box, run.

Jamie Bowden

--

"Of course, that's sort of like asking how other than Marketing,
Microsoft is different from any other software company..."