Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2000 22:10:04 +1100 (EST)
From:      Joel Sutton <jsutton@bbcon.com.au>
To:        "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
Cc:        Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [ADV] Re: 21st Century Unix - web serving

On Tue, 21 Mar 2000, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:

> Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> >
> > I assumed "advanced web serving" means packages like ColdFusion.
> > Ignoring the question of whether ColdFusion is really "advanced" or
> > not, I do know one department on campus here might be switching from
> > NT to FreeBSD if they can run ColdFusion on FreeBSD.  I do not have
> > much background in web-serving options, but I'm under the impression
> > that ColdFusion is available RIGHT NOW for Linux, and I don't know
> > how well it would work under FreeBSD.
>
> Since I don't know what ColdFusion does, I cannot comment on this.

ColdFusion is a commercial package very similar, in concept, to PHP. So
that covers database integration and the usual dynamic web stuff.

I do know of an ISP running CF on Linux but not on FreeBSD.

Of course, it might be worth considering changing from Cold Fusion to PHP,
or even Zope, but this might not be viable if they have existing apps
writting in Cold Fusion.

Cheers, Joel...

---
Joel Sutton                       |                Busy Bee Consulting
Phone: 0409 426-563               |               Melbourne, Australia
Email: jsutton@bbcon.com.au       |           http://www.bbcon.com.au/
VicFUG President/Webmaster        |  http://www.vicfug.au.freebsd.org/
FreeBSDzine Editor                |        http://www.freebsdzine.org/